Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Rypien hit...

I am sure you've all seen it by now. The reactions have gone from the Oilers radio announcer Rod Phillips calling for Rypien to get 40 games (!) to the more common one, people shaking their head about what Roy was thinking turning before the hit. There are Oiler fans who still insist that Rypien left his feet, I don't buy that, and even if you want to make that claim, it looks like if he did (and I am not saying he did) that it may be from him letting up just a bit. I understand that hockey is a physical game, and like any of that nature, emotions run high, especially amongst fans. Rod Phillips is a respected broadcaster, among one of the better ones in the league. I was really surprised to hear him say something like that. I think overall I have no problem with the penalty assessed (though I believe that had the Downie hit not taken place earlier in the week, he would have gotten just 2 minutes). But if the NHL suspends him for a hit that is fairly common, just a little overenthusiastic, would be a sign that Bettman has truly lost his mind.

No comments: